This simple dish is a one-pan meal that satisfies everyone! Super quick and delicious this is a hearty option that can be enjoyedion its own, or you can enjoy it “Sri Ram Kaa style”…placed on top of a corn tostada with a dash of your favorite hot sauce!
Serves 4 people
- 6-8 small potatoes…any type that has thin skins are best as you want to leave them on!
- ¾ c of TVP crumbles (Texturized Vegetable Protein)
- 4 whole dehydrated Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 head of cabbage sliced and cut into pieces
- 2 tsp of Vegetable broth
- Dash of Sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. Nutritional yeast
- Optional: grated carrot and chopped plum tomato, cilantro garnish
- Place the TVP in a large fry pan with enough water to cover the TVP totally. The water line should be “floating” above the TVP. Add the vegetable broth and a dash of sesame oil. Turn on the heat to medium and cover. Allow the water to come to a boil.
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices.
- Break the Shiitake into at least 4 pieces per mushroom
- Place the potatoes and broken shiitakes into the fry pan with the TVP and boiling water. (They should just be covered by the water. They should not be drowning in it.)
- Cover the pan and allow it to come to a boil again and then reduce the heat.
- When the TVP appears hydrated, and most of the water has been absorbed, add the cabbage, (and the carrot and tomato if you are using them).
- Stir and place the lid back on the pan. Reduce the heat.
- Check in about 4-5 minutes and stir again. If it seems dry add a small amount of water at a time. If it is too wet, leave the lid off so that some of the water can evaporate.
- Made properly the mixture will not stick to your fry pan, however it will stick “together”.Ready to serve! You will know when the meal is ready by the texture of the potatoes. The cabbage should be somewhat crisp and not overdone.
Enjoy on corn tostadas, tortillas or just out of the pan! Also fun served with a side of broccoli made your favorite way or as a side dish for lunch or dinner.