A staple at all TOSA gatherings, this versatile recipe can be modified as your tastes allow. This recipe is super easy to make and is a wonderful idea for celebration groups, parties and potluck events. Best cooked very slowly in a crock pot!
Enjoy this tri-doshic recipe which digests easily and suits all body types and eating personalities. And, it is gluten free too!
- 3/4 cup lentils, (or mung dahl)
- 1 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 Tbl Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbl FRESH grated ginger
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 cardamon pods, crushed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 4 Tbl soy butter
- 1 caulifower (or broccoli)
- 2 cups peas or mixed veggies
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- In a large crock pot simply add all the ingredients in the order listed above.
- Stir once everything is in the crockpot and be sure the lid is on tightly. Set your crock pot to high for approximately three hours. (You will want to check on your own crockpot for actual cooking time and leave it on high until all the water is absorbed.)
- Stir and turn the crockpot on warm and you are ready to serve.
- You may wish to add about a quarter cup of water once the Kitcheree is done cooking as it sits on warm.
- Have fun with vegetable additions! I have tried just about everything and yet to find any combination that isn’t wonderful.
- If you are not sure what Asafetida is, it is a wonderful Indian spice that makes a great alternative to garlic. And yes, you can substitute garlic if you wish.
- Not into hot peppers? Then leave them out–it’s that easy!